LeadingAge Indiana Members Share Best Practices
During the coronavirus outbreak, our members come together to share best practices within their communities.
- If friends/family of residents have symptoms and have been exposed to anyone who has traveled to a level III country, ask them not to visit for 14 days post symptoms. Also, consider halting all resident outings until further notice.
- Consider converting upcoming resident performance events to live stream events show on Facebook for families to see.
- Consider cancelling all non-emergent doctor appointments and only send residents to the hospital if absolutely necessary. Upon return, residents should be isolated for 14 days.
- Prepare in advance to stop activities, social gatherings, worship services and dining room meal service if needed.
- Educate staff and visitors - Infection Control is the control; recommend action if symptomatic to protect residents. Internally, staff should vigilantly monitor residents.
- Focus effort
is on education of staff, residents, and families. Consider having your leadership team complete a tabletop drill regarding proper response.
- Develop a brochure that community can distribute to families and visitors.
- Monitor situation daily to make the determination if/when limiting visitors will be needed. Continue monitoring things closely with local hospital and local health department.
- Post at every entrance instructions regarding washing hands, flu-symptoms, not visiting if recently traveled or come into contact with those that have travelled (international and domestic travel). Step up visitor screening by requiring a short questionnaire to be completed upon sign-in.
- Very visibly do daily disinfection rounds in common areas and workspaces.